Monday, September 13, 2010


{Laura Pearl Hansen Briggs}


Grandma's 80th birthday is on September 20.
Grandma asked that we not have a large party in her honor. 
 She just wasn't sure if she would feel up for it.
BUT because it is a respectable number, we had to have a respectable celebration......
We being Randy, River, Jax, Aunt Tracy and myself.


Aunt T and Grandma bought birthday tickets to the Lion King production.
After their fabulous Saturday matinee, they met us at the Macaroni Grill.
We were excitedly waiting to present Grandma with her birthday banner*.

*Banner said:
Happy 80th Birthday
Laura Pearl Hansen Briggs
With much love from
Your 4 children
10 Grandchildren
& 18 Great Grandchildren
(Look at the beautiful family pyramid she created.)
Pictures of her history were the focal points



It was a surprise to her that we were there, and actually for the first time in her 79 7/8 years, she was left speechless.


Riv has been practicing the "happy birthday" song as a gift to Grandma.
He did a beautiful job playing for her.

Jax wrote a poem as his contribution:
I love the way  you sing.
I love the way you talk.
I love when you laugh.
I love the way when you love.
I love when you care.
I love you.



The picture is of Jax at the microphone, Grandma in her wheelchair on stage and the audience in the seats :)



After all of the artsy fartsy stuff....we ate a yummy dinner, and then the waiter brought out a piece of lava cake with a candle.  We all sang happy birthday and passed the chocolate pile of love around for everyone to taste.
Grandma was a good sharer.
Which is saying a lot because this lady LOVES her food!


We are proud of our Mom/Grandma/Great Grandma.
She has lived a life of curiosity and events without fearful obstructions.

She truly is our Sweet 80 glam diva!!!

I am honored to be a part of such a memorable day for you Grandma :)
Much love
xoxoxoxoxo

P.S......remind me to tell you about the story of her getting pissed off at a fellow tenant.
"G-dammit all to hell!!!" was yelled by my Grandmother who had had ENOUGH of the other ladies' gibberjabber nonsense!

So you see......
my trucker mouth is genetic.
I find it a shame not to carry on the tradition.


5 comments:

Chelise said...

Awwwwwe! That BANNER IS AMAZING! No wonder the Gma was speechless! I think your lil get-to-getha was perfection of celebration, by the way! I know Gma LOVED IT! Thanks for letting us share, via bloggee....

Happy Birthday Grandma! We Love You!

Dee Ann Allen said...

I JUST LOVE YOUR GRANDMA, PLEASE GIVE HER MY LOVE AND WISH HER A LATE BIRTHDAY.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a celebration. Thank you for doing that beautiful get together for Mom. She should get a party everyday..oh wait...she is a party everyday. Anywho,Loved the poems,songs and banner.

E

paula said...

I'm so glad it went well. That banner did turn out amazing. I can just imagine sitting in a restaurant serenading your Grandma. I love it. Happy Birthday Laura!

paula said...

What I meant was..."I can just imagine River sitting in a restaurant serenading your Grandma."

oops.