Tuesday, August 31, 2010

{I remember when....}

We have been cleaning out nooks and crannies......
 selling off our unused/unwanted items on KSL Classifieds.
Seems that everything we sold, had some emotional attached memories that made it hard to separate with.

~The glider-rocker that I rocked my babies in....

~The boys' big rubber toy box that held all of Rivers trains.....

~The elliptical in the basement....oh no...wait!!!  no attachment to that! you have to actually use something to be attached!

~The boys' "friend sleepover" bunk beds that had our sweet neighbor girls name stuck all over the bottom of the mattress board from 7 years ago.

~AND these bar stools (pictured). 

I brought the stools upstairs from the basement storage.  I gave Jax a rag, and asked him to shine them up for me before the buyer came.
A few minutes went by and I walked in to find Jax sitting......thinking......crying.
He had memories of  sitting on Grandpa Jack's lap in these chairs. 
He remembered specific moments.
He begged me not to sell the stools......
 afraid that his memories and experiences would be forever ingrained in the wood and given to a new owner.

I understood.
Hell.....why do you think I've kept the rocker this long?!?!?
I mean, it's only been 8 years since that rocker has rocked one of my babes!!!!
But without it in view, I forget the little details of long nights I comforted, fed and bonded with my boys.

I sometimes concern myself with little bits of hording.
Now I realize that what I'm really doing is trying to preserve memory.
And I consider that part of my life's scrapbook.
So there will always be things that I will never be able to part with......

And this is the point where I apologize to my kids, Randy and closest peeps.......
because when I move on to the beer, dancing, laughing, loving heaven in the sky,
You all will be stuck with my "saved memory" crap.
Again....so sorry.



7 comments:

Tracy said...

AWE JOL! Yer killin' me!! :(...

Amie said...

Dear Sentimental Fool,

Hoarding is ok if it perserves the long lasting memories you have created! Hell those bars stools will someday get used again when the boys are in need of furniture! I know where you can rent a storage unit.

I invite you to come and sit at the masters feet and learn the ways of useful hoarding. Be at peace grasshopper knowing you are on the right path! Hoarders Unite!

Chelise said...

Amie, Amie, You crack me up! Jol- this is one of the things i lub so much about ya! Your attatchment (hoarding) of things, is heartwarming and you wouldn't be who you are without it! I am proud of you, putting this stuff, and it is stuff, up for sale, and moving on....

Anonymous said...

09/01/2010
Jolie Janin:

Yep! You're imbued with Grandma B's DNA up to your frontal lobes!
I'm in process of writing and sending you a discourse that distinguishes the wide chasm of meaning between "OPINIONATED" and "PRAGMATIC."

Now: To y'all book lover babes-all of whom I'm so proud:
I'm on library waiting list for SOUTH OF BROAD by Pat Conroy.
Pat is an author beloved by my generation. He writes so gripping and graphically about the Southern culture: i.e. South Carolina, esp. Charleston.
CONRACK, circa 1990s, is a beloved classic film made from one of his books.
Conroy's novels have inspired many top films, starring our top actors such as Streisand.

Also THE CITADEL & THE GREAT SANTINI are film classics based on Conroy's novels.
lpb

Yeah! PRAGMATIC, that be us, Jolie.

lisa_sims said...

I can relate to every word here, but I have decided I like the money better then the crap! I have pictures of all the crap to preserve my memories. And, when I die I don't want everyone sifting through my old crap...so, I am sellin it and spending the money!

Well, if you are nice to me I might hide a little of the money under my mattress for you!

paula said...

Ah-poor Jax. What a sweet kid. I can totally relate to this feeling because I put sentimental value on things too. I love Chelise's comment about getting rid of the crap....remind her of this when she comes to your house next month and cries that her bunk bed is gone.

Chelise said...

Shut up pretty, pregnant gurl, Paula! I actually USED that bunk bed every time I am up there, which is a lot, and now I am stuck with a blow up mattress, like the one I stuck Jolie on for the first, like, 5 years I was married!