Thursday, April 15, 2010

{My face was pecked by an EAGLE!}


The University of Utah invited Riv's school for a day of mentoring and advanced thought of education.
It was called
"Project Youth"




Riv truly has the kindest, most laid back teacher.
I was impressed by all of the school's students, parents and faculty.
Three other schools were invited to bring their 6th graders also.
Our school was the best behaved with the most "child-like" pupils.
Looking around, I saw the clicks.
I saw the obnoxious "cool" group that I hung out with at that age.
My mind was swirling with memories and physical emotions from decades past.
I'm proud that my son didn't follow in my school daze shoes.
He's better than that me.


One of the key speakers was Dan Snarr.  The Murray City's mayor.
Once the children got past the freak out of his waxed outlaw mustache, they were given his history of poverty, endurance, pride, and strength.
The goal of this program is to encourage 6th graders to envision themselves as future college students regardless of the background they come from.
Research shows that sixth grade is the delicate age at which students either buckle down and focus on their futures, or fall away from plans for higher education.

The favorite demonstrations were by the head honcho of the physics department.  He had a long table full of experiments that kept the kids excited and responsive.
It was as if Riv was able to witness the most amazing mentor in his life!
A real live Myth Buster!!!!!
Awe.....My little science geek :)





We were given 45 minutes for lunch.


It was a beautiful 73 degree day, and the children ran the green of a large hillside.
I was fortunate enough to be a fly on the wall, and witness the interaction with River and his friends.
He did not stop for a second......running, entertaining, and heading up group "catch the Gatorade bottle".
He forgot I was there.
I forgot that he doesn't need to be wrapped around my legs for security anymore.
He is an amazing spirit......and has yet to realize his power.



Once we cattle called all of the kiddies back into their seats, a surprise was jumping around on the main floor.
It was "Swoop", U of U's mascot.





I think Swoop had a "tail" gaiting party in the moments before his appearance.
After I took the picture of he and Riv, Swoop put his hands/talons on his hips, shook his head, and grabbed my face.

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!

He pulled my face into his open beak simulating a KISS!!!!!!
{{{{{Can you imagine????}}}}
As he released me, I said, "WOW?!?!?!"
He gave me a thumbs up and puffed his chest, and moved on.
The next sight I see is my Riv......
He was standing there in embarrassment.
I could feel my heart race and my face heat to about 394 degrees.
I was embarrassed, in shock, and felt like I had just done something horribly wrong.
Embarrassed that my son, his friends, teachers and other parents witnessed me being eagle pecked.

WHY DID HE DO THAT AT A 6TH GRADE EVENT???
IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN????
YOU BIRD BRAIN!!

But truth be told, the embarrassment was not the main cause of my cheek heat wave.....
I was also flattered.
I know!!!!  I'm pathetic!!!!
Throw stones at your computer now and hope they knock me upside the head!

Pathetic because I will take a 20 year old college student, in a freakin bird suit, acting inappropriately in front of children.......
as flattery.

PA-THE-TIC!!!

I've got a call in to Dr. Laura.
I need professional help!


As the day neared end, the U faculty drew numbers from tickets they had given to the kids.
All kinds of fun free stuff given away.
Riv sat in disappointment.....he turned to me and said, "doesn't look like it's gonna happen for me this time :("
I give him a look like.....it's no big deal buddy.
We hear over the loud speakers,
"OK kids!!!! 
We are calling the last ticket!  Can I get a drum roll please??
bmmmbmmmmmbmmmmbmmm
The number is: 8675309!!!!"
River jumps from his seat "MOM!!! that's me!  that's me!"
I couldn't contain my scream!!!
WAHOOOOOOO!!!
River is running down the cement stairs,
(tripped and fell in excitement and lack of coordination.....he's ok.
He won a family pass to Tracy Aviary....I can't get away from the damn birds!)

I hear another kid say, "Hey look!  River won!!!"
The chanting starts....
Riv-er....Riv-er.....Riv-er!

Ahhhhhhh, I can't even put in to words what it feels like when a basketball stadium with amazing acoustics has your son's name being yelled by 70 of his peers.
I envision in about 11 years from now, I will be sitting in the same seat, same acoustics, hearing his name chanted for a second time in life....
His college graduation.



Oh yah!
That's MY boy!




3 comments:

Chelise said...

With the run o luck we've been having in the "hottness" area, I'd take a college/bird boy, grabbin me for a make out, anytime! You still got it! (He is a college student ya know).....

Attention! Can I have everyone's attention please?? We are now in cougar territory....Please watch your young adult men, between the ages of 20 and 35. Thank you!


Riv is looking soo tween....I have mixed feelings. It's cool to see him doing his own thing with friends, but my hell! I can't believe it's time to sculpt him into college....WOW!

Ya'll better start playing the lotto more religously, because y'all win more stuff than anyone else I know! Congrats!

Wish I could go with yous to the aviary (Not so much) Love ya!

Tracy said...

Firstly, I am totally bawling upon reading this! I see YOU in River in this last pic.
What an amazing day at the U.
Can hardly wait to chant "RIV-ER, RIV-ER" again in just a few more years as he accepts his degree(s)!
And as for that Horney-Hawk, can you blame him for swooping down on such a lovely "Hawkie-Mom"?? LOL :)

Anonymous said...

I will take a bird peck over bird poop any day. Thank you for the great field trip adventure. Yes,we will all be there to see him run down those steps and get his degrees!!

Auntie E