Wednesday, April 21, 2010


{Tastes like......chicken,
or it could be pickles}


On Monday, I remembered that Jax had a Science Fair project that was due TODAY!!!
I had received the note two weeks ago, but with all the psychotic break downs, I put the Science Fair on the
"I don't give a royal shit" list.
Going back and reading the information from the teacher, I realized this was worth 80% of his grade.
Yes, I wanted to slam my head on 8 cement blocks.
Stupid science!
Stupid school!
Stupid 3rd stupid grade!
Stupid, ME!
All of these thoughts running through my tired brain.
Shit........I don't want to do this.

I looked at the paper with the guidelines again.
This time I see a box that has categories of experiments to choose from.
"Okay!!!!!  We can do this!  I don't have to pull something out of my ass!  We just have to pick one from this box and google until the sun comes up!"
A glimmer of positive headway coming at me.



Jax chose to do his experiment on the Five Senses, focusing on the sense of taste.
The objective was to figure out if you can taste food better with or without your nose plugged.


His two taste tester assistants:
Dad
&
River
(suckahhhhhhhhhs)


Jax found five extremely different items from the fridge that the assistants would be tasting out of pure trust.
Soy Sauce
Cholula
Mustard
Lime Juice
and Cherry Jam


As you can see, the testers were anxiously waiting for the experiment to begin.



Jax dipped each food with a Q-tip and ran it across the testers tongues.
First with their nose plugged, then unplugged.
Randy thought the lime juice was an orange.
River thought the jam was garlic sauce?!?!?
It turned out to be a lot of fun.
I documented all of the information, and from there a two page report, pictures, graphs, conclusions, yada yada yada science yada yada was in it's works.



No memory cards or looking at their board was allowed.
I was concerned that Jax would freeze, forget everything, and not have a decent follow thru on his presentation.
Misplaced worry-momma!  That's me!
Jax did great!
Of course he had everyone laughing and did some improv for the parents.
He called one of the high school kids from the audience as the guinea pig for the experiment.
Jax goes ShaNayNay on the kid.  With his head moving unattached to his neck, and his finger swagging, Jax says, "DUDE!  You have no idea what you're in for!  I don't even want to hear 'OH NO YOU DI-UNT' when we are done.  You volunteered, now be a MAN and take it like a MAN!!!!"
Everyone was laughing even while Jax put the first Q-tip of strawberry jam in the boys' mouth.

All of the students in Jax's class did an amazing job! They were very detailed and a lot of effort was put into their project.
 I've seen these kids grow for 4 years now, and I am so proud of how smart, beautiful, unique, funny, and innocent they all are.

3rd Grade Science Fair was just what I needed to bring me back to where I should be......as a mother......as a kind, loving human being.
Children have that special healing magic over your heart.

I don't want to ram my head at bricks anymore :)



4 comments:

Tracy said...

RIGHT ON!! Jax puts the COOL in SCHOOL!!!
Nice back-up from his Taste-Buds: RD & Riv. :)>
Kudos to Mom, The MasterMind, too.
Ya'll get an A+ !

paula said...

Way to go! Glad everything came together at the last minute. I can just see Jax up there pulling the ShaNayNay/Lafonda attitude. He looks so big and grown up in the picture.

Anonymous said...

04/22/2010
This is my favorite, most precious blog from the DeVries family. It so perfectly illustrates what family devotion, dedication and what the "Extra Mile" is all about.

My brother, Tracy and I often speak about how our parents, Thurman and Audrey,showed up when their loved ones and neighbors needed an over the top support effort.

I thereby bestow upon the Randy, Jolie, River, Jax DeVries family the esteemed Thurman/Audrey Hansen family crown:
THE EXTRA MILE PEOPLE.

PS: I can't believe how fast Jax is growing and moving into puberty right now. He has to have extra effort and support. Thank God, his family who cares so much is there for him. Bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jaxo. Thank goodness your Mom didn't wimp out like other mothers have in the past. Great pics and family story.

E