Thursday, April 29, 2010


{Season five of Senior Idol}


This is Grandma's third year in the competition.
She looked more radiant, composed, and sexy than any other year.
Yes, sexy! 
My (almost) 80 year old grandma still appreciates her womanhood and proved that with a new push-up bra.  She wore purple shadow and thick mascara, that made her ocean blue eyes POP!  The new golden blonde hair is the perfect color for the spiked hairstyle she boasts. (And she still finds it very important to shave and moisturize her skin too!  Never too old to take pride in yourself!)


Many people were in the audience for support.
On the left is Grandma's long time friend who accompanies her on the piano during her performance.
On the right, is Maddie.  She is the angel that helps Grandma with her shopping, cooking, house cleaning, and is also her good friend.


Aunt Tracy and I were nervous with excitement awaiting Grandma's stage appearance.
I chewed my gum ferociously until my jaw wanted to bitch slap me......I was THAT nervous!


Time is getting down to the numbs......
the room is filling fast.
Grandma gets a look at some of the competition......
sizing them up. 
Very intently sizing them up, as you can see.
From just the outer appearance......we were positive that Grandma had this "2010 Idol trophy" in the bag!!!!!


Above: The competition


Grandma was the second singer on stage.
A very bitter, unhappy, rigid stage crew member, held up Grandma's name to the audience.  That was her que to be at the microphone.


She gave her own rendition of "Come Rain or Shine".
I appreciated her controlled theatrics and her entertaining beauty.

See her performance here.


(I am fully aware that the shot from this angle does nothing to help me)

While the judges were conferring their notes in the back room, the audience was given sheets with multiple  sing-a-long songs.
Ya know, like:
Take me out to the ball game
You are my sunshine
and a few more crowd favs.
Tracy was such a wonderful singer in her Cher impersonation, that I couldn't contain my joy with tears and laughter.


The top three were announced.
3rd went to a lady with bad teeth and NO personality, but pretty voice
2nd went to Regina.  YAY!!!  Grandma's close friend. (on the left.....red hair lookin good Regina!) (The announcer called ragIna to the stage)



And the winner is...............................



Eugene.
An amazing man that made us laugh with an Elvis song revised into a song about prunes, lack of hearing, prostrate problems, snoring.....old people stuff.
Probably was not the most talented in the voice department, but talented in the entertainment and funny department.

It was the story that we learned after the show that made his winning appropriate.
Eugene's wife died two years ago.
This day was her birthday.
He calls her his "queen".
She was his pin-up girl all through WWII.
A true love story.
He has three children, and they have been trying to get him to leave his house since their mother's death.
Eugene had become a hermit.

His performance was for his queen.
His children didn't even know that he had this planned, and he told us that "they are going to be very mad at me for not including them".

Eugene was a winner this day for many things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To my Grandma~
I am proud of you and the energy, pride, work, and emotion you put into your performances every year.
You've still got it going on lady!!!
You will always be a winner in my book.
Can't wait to see what you bring to the stage next year!


Love you ;)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

BRAVO Mom,
You looked fabu and sang from your heart.
Thank you Jolie and Tracy for the great pics and video.

Aunti E

Chelise said...

Grandmama Hottie:

You looked AMAZING!! I am so proud of your courage, strength, and perseverance...You are an idol!

paula said...

Laura-You look so beautiful! I swear that hair color makes you look 20 years younger. Seriously. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

04/30/2010

Jolie, Tracy, Paula:
It's your job to get me acquainted with Eugene.
Did he say he was from Riverton Sr Ctr? Chk that out. I hope they have a choir.
I love y'all fiercely.
GGma B