Monday, April 26, 2010



{On my honor.....timeless values}


Yes indeedie!
Riv...the Riv-man....the Riv-ster....
the Riv-runsthruit,
 is a Boy Scout!

I love the Scout program in what they stand for, and the teachings that it gives to young men to grow and become real men.  I'm very excited for Riv!  I can't help but think of how proud my Aunt Janin would be.



This year,  The Boy Scouts of America celebrates 100 years of living the scout law.
There are four merit badges that have been mothballed for decades, and are now available to earn for this year ONLY!!!!
Friday night, Randy and Riv went to their first campout, to earn his first badge.
Okay....not sure you can really call this a campout.  It's really just more of an "out".
Is pitching a tent in a local park considered camping.  Awe, who am I to judge a century of tradition??



I bought Riv his first tent.
He had it up and ready on his own.
(Hmmmmm......I've already wayyyy over used the words first and year in one single post.  Sorry bout that.
Let's just keep on keepin on...shall we)


Needless to say,  NOBODY slept a wink.
It was "nard freezing" cold, as Riv described.
Randy and Riv ended up snuggling in the same sleeping bag for combined body heat.
They crawled, crackled, and creaked out of the tent to see frost on everything.
(picture is of the truck's frosted windshield)
This will be a hardship story that Randy plans on repeating for years to come......
be ready to hear how hard it was....
over and over and OVER........


After a night of no sleep and "nard freezing" temps, what is the first thing you would want???

EXACTLY!!!!!!!
 A boiled omelet in a Ziploc bag!!!!

Really??!?!?
It's not like these kids are miles from civilization and have to fight for their lives in the wilderness.
What happened to bacon and eggs over the fire?
Sheesh!

Yah......I couldn't be a Boy Scout for many reasons. 
Here, let me list a few:
1~I'm not a boy
2~I don't like their food choices
3~I hate tents
4~I have minimal values


Riv was proud to stand with the hundreds of other tween boys in the education and earning of his "pathfinder" badge.  A boy will always remember his first badge of honor and the year it was earned :)

Side note:  Boy Scouts is NOT cheap.
Shirt
Book
Hat
3 patches
$67

I  will also have added expenses because I will be dropping off the shirt and patches to a lady that sews them on professionally.  I cannot let my child walk around looking like he has a mother with one arm, eye cataracts, and is a bit "not right" in the shnoggin'.
(yah, yah, the third statement is debatably true....whatever)

Fine!!! 
If you MUST know........



I cannot SEW!!!!
There!  I said it!
I am "thread and needle" handicapped!

Paula knows.....
she's had to painstakingly fix some of my attempts.
Paula!  Quit laughing.


P.S. Randy said that this is his chance to be a kid again and experience things through/with River :) 
I got a text from Randy while they were there.
It said, "Having a BLAST!"


THAT makes me smile
:)   :)   :)   :)   :)   :)






5 comments:

Tracy said...

Never too old or cold for scouting!
That's just AWESOME!!
Is there a "Window Cleaning" Badge??
I have projects available :)

paula said...

So fun....tell Randy that Jay D's "50 mile scout hike" story will put his "freezing the nards in a park campout" story to shame. I'm sure if he sticks it out there will be many more fun and crazy memories to be had. I'm glad he's doing it.

Oh yeah-and maybe if you would have done Girl Scouts Jolie you could save a few bucks and sew those patches on yourself! ha ha ha. Seriously, I can teach you how to sew them on....it's not difficult AT ALL. ANYONE can do it.....I promise!

lisa_sims said...

I am sure Derek has a scout story or two for Randy....or not. I guess Randy had to teach him how to clean the gun...

I can sew though....and I wasn't in the girl scouts. If I can do it so can you!

Jolie said...

Paula....I WAS in Girl Scouts!!!

I just paid more attention to the cookies and The Boy Scouts than I did sewing :)

thanks for the offer of giving me a sewing lesson :)
I don't think you have enough patience to deal with me and my handicrap....hmmm, we'll have to see.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet Randy looks hot in those cute little green shorts!!

E