Tuesday, May 4, 2010


{was it by chance?}




As I'm walking toward the Mother's Day card isle, I see a woman in her late 20's - early 30's sitting in the outdoor patio chair that is on display. I notice her because of her intent stare on me.  It was if she knew me from somewhere, yet I had no recognition of her.
As I got closer she let out a disappointing breath.
"You look just like my best friend", she said shyly to me. 
"I'm going crazy.  I really thought you were her, and  maybe she came to visit me."

I said with a soft smile, "Where is she? Does she live out of state?"

"She's back home.......in South Carolina", she said with a "twangy" accent and a tear starting to stream down her eye.

"Oh, you miss her don't you? 
I'm sorry."

"Yes, I miss her real bad.  She's my only friend.  She's the only one that knows me.  She's the only one that loves me." 
Moving a jacket away from her lap, I see the bump. 
"I'm here to give up my baby."

My heart starts racing and I am immediately pulled to embrace her.
As I am holding her, she cries, "I'm so scared.  I'm so lonely.  I don't know what I'm going to do.  I'm out of money.  The agency lady said that she would send someone to meet me here with a gift card so that I could buy groceries.  I've been waiting for two hours."

"I'm so sorry.  Is there anything I can do for you?", I ask.

She calmed down, and said, "My name is Gayle.  Thank you for listening.  I didn't mean to make you cry too."

She asked me if I were a church going lady, because she needs me to pray for her.  Her husband died two years ago.  Killed by a drunk driver.  He had always wanted children, but she was not able to conceive.
 Eight months ago, she was raped walking home from work.  She called her estranged mother to ask for help and guidance.
Her mother called her a whore and didn't believe her. 
 Gayle was instructed to never call her mother again.

I intently listened, then shared my story of being an adoptive mother.
I praised her bravery, and selflessness.
I asked if she was living in a safe place.  She said yes.
I told her that this is a time that she needs to, and deserves to tell the adoption agency of her needs, and expect nothing less than what she has been promised.  I explained that I understand the process from both sides, and that there is plenty of money in a fund to keep her and the baby in comfortable living conditions......like food.
I reached into my wallet and gave her all that I had, which wasn't much, but she was able to buy herself a small cart of bread, milk, meat, and cereal.  I know this, because she seemed to be everywhere I was in the store.
She wanted to be sure that I saw what she was spending the money on.

She waited for me by the store exit.
Gayle gave me one last hug and a sincere thanks.
I felt like I was leaving a fawn in the wilderness with wild cats as near prey.
It took all I had not to take her home with me.....just to make sure she was taken care of.

I'm not really sure what word describes how meeting Gayle made me feel........
sad
worried
happy
curious
trusting
leery
hopeful
doubtful

I've learned to know when to give what I can of myself, and when it's time to back away from involvement.
Sometimes all a person needs for that moment is human touch, human love, and a shoulder to cry on.
That's is what I could give Gayle.

Was that a chance meeting, or was it set in place by something bigger than me,  for us to ironically meet......
In front of the Mother's Day display?








4 comments:

segura2salazar said...

I am crying my eyes out right now! I swear that you guys met for a reason, comfort, understanding, a hug. Who better than you!

Chelise said...

I believe it was definitely destined for you two to meet. You, an adoptive mother of two, she, one who is about to give up her baby...there are times, like this in which there is definitely something much bigger than us at work. I call him God. You were a much needed angel yesterday. I love your heart, tenderness, and love that you gave her.
It's hard to know when to say when in those times, for I know you wanted to protect her and help her more....thanks for giving her all that you had in that moment. I love you girl!

Tracy said...

Compassion: The Gift that keeps on giving. Thanks for sharing that, Jol.
Happy Mother's Day to all my beautiful Nieces, Sisters, Mother(s) and friends.

lisa_sims said...

You are a good person Jolie. A lot of people would have turned the other way. You are an angel to her. Feel good about what you did. Your meeting was no accident. Very touching!!!