Monday, October 25, 2010


{Surprise Dinner Date}



Randy had orchestrated a date for the two of us.
The only details that he would let me know, was to be ready and famished by 4:00 pm on Friday for a 5:30 dinner reservation.
I had been trying to get more information from him the entire week, but he held strong and stayed tight lipped.
(It drives me insane to have a secret that I can't figure out)
He pleasantly surprised me as we drove up Millcreek Canyon and ended at the
Log Haven Lodge.

We started with a good cold Cutthroat beer.

Appetizer~
The soup was butternut squash puree with barley and hazelnuts sunk to the bottom of the bowl.
Hazelnut oil and cream drizzled on top.
OMG!!!!!
I let all of my manners fly out the window!
I never looked up from the divine sauce, and I'm pretty sure that there was some obnoxious slurping that could be heard from my squash mustached mouth!


Entree~
Organic, Free-Range chicken thigh basted with pomegranate sauce.
The spinach, wild rice and red pear salad was tart and scrumptious with an orange vinaigrette.

Dessert~
A strong cup of coffee paired with apple cobbler and cinnamon ice cream for me....
and some kind of blackberry creme thingy for Randy finished our evening.
(I couldn't get the camera out in time before Rand had his dessert gone!)



After unbuttoning our britches and doing the fat belly waddle, we walked down the cobblestone path with the new winter nipping at our nose.

 Sometimes I take my hubs for granted.....
Shame on me!
This was courting his wife at his best.
What a man!




3 comments:

paula said...

That was so sweet of Randy. What a man! The food looks deeeelish. BTW-love it that when going out for a fancy dinner, you trade in the glass of wine for a beer. Now that's my girl!

Anonymous said...

10/25/2010

Log Cabin:
Goodest, most dependable of the old SLC institutions for a comfortable, belly warming tasty meal--flavors just a bit zippier and atmosphere cozy and romantic.

Lucky Couple you are. You exemplify the art of a married couple who treats one another royally.

Love ya' both

ggma B

Anonymous said...

You had me at dinner with Randy!!
I had forgotten about Log Haven, it was the ritzy place to go before a prom when I was in high school. Glad it's still there. Lucky you, Randy only takes me out for a fish sandwich!!!!!

E