Sunday, October 18, 2009

{It takes a village......}



A couple weeks ago, Riv brought home an announcement from school.
The one that invites mothers and sons to share a night of pizza and reading.
It was on a day that I would have been in AZ.  Riv and I were both disappointed...............until..........
I suggested that he call Paula and ask if she could be his OTHA MOTHA for the evening.


Paula immediately said yes,
(even though she had a close friend in town staying at her house!) and told Riv that she was truly honored that he had asked her.
My trip to AZ got canceled do to Jax's swine flu scare,
 Paula and I both assumed that I would be attending
the motha/son night with Riv.
Riv had a hard time finally coming clean with me, because he didn't want to hurt my feelings.........
He was still looking forward to having a special night with Paula, and wanted her to still go with him :)
They have many things in common....
reading, deep conversation, and challenging
each others knowledge of history.
Riv said that Paula makes him feel important and special
and he knows she loves him.
That statement.....just in itself.......
made me more connected to Paula
than any "all night talking" girls trip could.

Is there possibly a better feeling than when another person 
genuinely takes the time to know your child,
and shows them love and attention for who they are????
And the best thing.....
They can truly understand
why your kid is so loveable :)

I respect, admire and love you Paula.
Many, many, many thank you's......
just for being you.
Paula=genuine

Paula met Riv's teacher Ms. Murdock, and received a strange stare.
Teacher was trying to recollect if she had met Paula/Riv's mother at back to school night.
Paula and Riv laughed and explained that she was filling in for me.


Motha/son had to complete a 9 squared sheet 
of tasks to take home a prize.
A WHOLE PIZZA!
(only because they had so many left over.....
Not as many people attended as they had counted on)

 



My children are fortunate to have many
strong role models in their life.
MOST are women.
They are loved, respected and taught
valuable approaches to the world.
They have people that they can confide in
and depend on outside of their parents.
Do I think this takes away anything
from my parenting skills????
Hell NO!
These children were not given to me so that
I can be their one and only life teacher......
I am the one that chooses the people
who intimately interact with them,
But they deserve to experience many relationships
that hold sacrifice, love, and worth.

My friends and close family have stepped in
 to be amazing aunts to my boys.
Before my sons came into my life,
I imagined how life would be for them.
I had heartache for them
thinking that they would be growing up
without my brother for an uncle,
and of course I have no sisters,
so they would have no aunts....
which meant no cousins.
I couldn't have been more displaced with worry.
They have people who have chosen to fill those roles and who have earned the names
Aunt, Uncle and Cousin.
And the whole thing makes sense to me now.
Randy and I were always destined for a
Melting Pot Family
So thank you to all my fondue family that have slowly blended your influence and warmed us with your love.
It takes a village to raise these children....
I'm glad you all are my "Village People"



4 comments:

paula said...

This brought a tear to my eye...I do love your kids. I'm so honored to be part of the "melting pot". I had a blast with Zip (or is it Pop?). I love you guys.

Chelise said...

What a great post, my love! I am, too, blessed to be a part of the "melting pot O love". Your kids rock and are so amazing!! Otha Motha....I love ya too :))

Megan said...

Hey Jolie~ This is megan, paula's friend. I have been silently stalking your blog for a while now. I LOVE THIS POST! Totally made me cry. I love everything you said. I, too, love Paula. How lucky we are to have such wonderful people in our lives. Thanks for making me smile! ~M

Tracy said...

Awesome perspective, Mertz! I'm just trying to figure out which one of the Village People I want to be for Halloween! :)>