Monday, March 22, 2010


{That's my River}


As I walked by Riv's room tonight at 10:45 pm, the time that he should be fast asleep, but because he is my night owl, he was reading and listening to the children's CD that he has listened to since infancy.
I stop and say, "Bubba, it's past your bedtime honey.  Lights out."
He says, " But mom....come here.  I've been practicing a song to sing to you."

Oh, the buzzin' of the bees in the peppermint trees
'Round the soda water fountains
Where the lemonade springs and the bluebird sings
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

He continued with the song without a word misplaced.
I swayed my hips side to side and looked at him with a feeling as if he is still my little boy with happiness and innocence.
He is the strongest soul I know.

After the serenade, we hugged and giggled.
He looked me in the eyes and said,
"Mom, you are the most beautiful person I know.  When I think of you my heart is at peace.
AND, you may have wrinkles all around your eyes, and some over here, but there isn't a one on your forehead :)"

That's my River



5 comments:

G-ma said...

THAT IS SO SWEET!!!!

paula said...

I was saying out loud "Ahhh" until I got to the part about the wrinkles and then I was just laughing...almost spit my coffee out. Because of the fact that he's sitting up in bed (when he should be sleeping) with his nose burried in a book makes me think, "Now that's MY boy."

lisa_sims said...

Kids are wonderful! I think they are a kinda like looking in the mirror...he is all that you have taught him to be! Be proud of your boy Jolie...you're a super mom (and Randy is a super daddy!)

Chelise said...

Gotta love kids, huh?? We sure are being zinged this week! At least your not a lesbian...I'd take wrinkle comments anyday!!

(I have nothing against lesbians)

I want to hit the stop button on our kids growing up almost daily now!!!

Tracy said...

Just think of all the $ you're saving on Botox!! Gotta Love that boy! :)