Monday, April 4, 2011

{I smell skunk}



Um....I don't even know how to say this.
Ok
I will just say it.

I FOUND A SMALL BAG OF WEED IN THE HALLWAY OF RIVER'S SCHOOL!!!!!
Oh you heard me right!!!!
marijuana
weed
skunk
black bart
boo
charge
stacks
zami
whatever the hell you wanna call it, I found it!!!!!
This is the story:
I was running quickly through the empty halls to get Riv out of class for an appointment.
I noticed trash throughout the hall and just thought, "wow! kids are pigs! AND that the janitor is slackin' on his broom time."
Once I retrieved Riv, we made the dash back down the hall toward the doors.
As I ran past a baggie in the middle of the floor, I thought "hmmmmm...I wonder?"
REMEMBER: 
ALWAYS GO WITH YOUR GUT INSTINCT!!!
I bent over and saw that the bottom of the bag had a slim line of green leaves.
(probably enough for 2 rolled joints)
I picked it up, took a big whiff...
and then maybe another 
and another :) 
just to make sure my senses were correctly smelling skunk weed of course.
Then I said out-loud, "You've gotta be kidding me!"
Riv was clueless as to the fact that I had just come upon some stoner dudes stash, and the dude was gonna be SUPER pissed to know that it is no longer in his hoodie pocket!
I promptly marched that baggie to the office, reached my arm to full extend and told the front desk lady that I found this bag o'goodies in the hall.
She looked at me wide-eyed 
and took a big sniff from the bag too!!!!
Then she said, "well, isn't this just wonderful" and handed it over to  the police officer on duty.

Riv and I got in the car and he asked what was going on.
I told him I'd found the weed.
He asked what it looked and smelled like.
I described the contraband and asked if that is something he sees around his school often.
He said no, and was as surprised as I was that I had literally ran across it.

I was in shock for about an hour.
It's hard to realize your child is around others who could influence a life changing decision. 
This aint no Elementary School Days anymore.
Jr. High is the introduction to real life.
Sex
Drugs
and
Rock-n-Roll
As a teen, I loved these words and did my best to live by them.
As a mom of a teen....these words* scare the living shit out of me.
*with the exception of rock-n-roll

This introduction to real life will be the test as to who will cave and who will rise.
As long as I trust my gut instinct, and my skunk sniffer is always on alert, I will keep aware and let Riv continue to believe that I hold magical powers that include eyes in the back and sides of my head. 

I guess there are good reasons that I've 
"been there"......
maybe it's so that my kids "don't".

Rise River!!!!  Rise!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that scene.River with his wide eyed innocence and the Mom who has been there done that.Thank goodness you have the knowlege and power to handle what may pop up and tempt the boys.Wish I had known more about the dark side when I was a teen,

E

paula said...

I love it that you found it with River in tow....it's a good way for him to learn that you know about all the crap he may or may not think about getting into. He's way too smart....he's the leader that will tell all his friends, "Hell no....you guys are stupid." Still so scary to think that he's reached that age where you have less and less control over what and who he is exposed to. It terrifies me just thinking about it. Rise River Rise!