Thursday, April 28, 2011

{Not even fry sauce can help this}


 I was skimming the meat department at Sam's Club, hoping something would jump out at me saying, "cook me for dinner".
While nothing had a 'pick me, pick me' sign on it, I was muthersucker-punched when my eyes grazed a pile o' cow tongue.
Let me explain something to you.....
For me, the sick shit about cow tongue is more than looking at it's tough, nubbie, multicolored texture, plastic wrapped in a meat case.
Seeing this brings back nauseating memories from being a child and living in Idaho.
OHHHHH!!!!! God forbid I could ever get french fries, 
but I was made to eat boiled cow tongue with fry sauce!
AND WE AREN'T 
EVEN MEXICAN!!!!
(Isn't cow tongue a mexi-delight????
Along with cow stomach, balls and poop shoot?)
I don't know the reason behind the feeding cruelty, 
but it sucked a big tongue one!
Not even fry sauce can cover the awful experience of cow tongue.
I think you would need whiskey and fire to do that!
I'm not kidding when I tell you that the taste ranks up there with what I can envision eating a rubberized, chewy dog toy flavored with cow blood and dipped in huge amounts of fry sauce so that it "doesn't look so bad", would taste like!
On days that "the tongue" was being served, Damon and I would ask to eat our dinner outside by our sandbox.
We had a German Shepherd next door that loved it when we threw our cow tongue over the fence for him to devour.  We kept the fry sauce for ourselves and licked it up!  We knew that this  was the closest thing we would get to a freakin french fry!
KIDS NEED FRIES DAMMIT!!!

Crazy how just a trip to the store can stir up emotional duress!!!
I ask the question for the 1,354,765,870 time.....
you wonder why I drink????
And now we can add......
you wonder why I have food issues??


Jax just asked me how the cows will be able to eat without their tongues
?????????????


3 comments:

paula said...

oh my hell....I love the story. I'm shocked cuz I'm pretty sure french fries were cheaper than cow tongue...even back then. Weird. It sounds like you had it on more than one occasion. This is a good story to tell your kids when they won't eat their veggies..."I don't want to hear it! When I was a kid I had to eat cow tongue!"

Jax....he never disappoints does he? I'm laughing so hard about his comment.

Chelise said...

This is one of the MANY reasons why you drink! UGH! The more I know about your childhood, the more I drink! WTF???????

Anonymous said...

MMMMM cow tongue...our Sunday dinner fav. My Mom invented the fry sauce trick. She always was into exotic foods!!

E