Sunday, June 14, 2009

{A Chitty Celebration for the Old Man}



Since I am going to be on a "girls trip" next Sunday,
the real Father's Day,
we decided to celebrate today!




We drove Downtown SLC (or is it Uptown...I never know).
The destination: CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG.
With a CHHHHH.....NOT a SHHHHHH


What would your first impression be if you didn't know these people??
Randy and dad were oblivious to what this scene looked like.....
which made it even more cute.

Pop was so sweet!!!! He saw this banner and said,
"Mom, you could be Miss Utah. All you need is beauty and brains.
I think you are over qualified."
My boys know how to talk to a woman!!!
I'm doing something right!

This was a wall that elementary children were allowed to draw and write letters on their experience with The Capitol Theatre. They were fun to read, and added wonderful color to the side of a gloomy, grey building.

An advertisement for the upcoming musical.
Wanna go Paula? Anyone?
The car flew!!! For REALS! It was awesome how they made it all look magic!
It was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. It was a new experience for ALL the boys!

The kids did well. Zip only fell asleep for about 1/4 of it. Randy and Pop enjoyed the whole thing awake! Dad caught little snores without me finding out. I told him that if I saw him sleeping, that I was throwing a bottle of water at his head!

That reminds me.........before the show started, an older hefty lady walked around with one of those boxes that hangs on the front and straps to the back. She was selling water. No need for a microphone....her voice yelling "WAAAHHHDDER" was enough to echo clear up to the nose bleeds where we were sitting. It was her look, the tone of her voice, her tumbleweed hair, and the way she pronounced water, that had us laughing so hard. We weren't the only ones! In fact, she was so entertaining, that I seriously thought she was part of the shows opening humor dialogs. Nope. She was the real water seller woman. No acting.
Maybe it was one of those, "you had to be there" kind of things.

After the show, we were famished!!!! We all ran in the rain to P.F. Changs for dinner. Pop said he felt like we were in NYC!
Lettuce wraps, Mongolian Beef, Spicy Chicken, Spring Rolls, and Egg drop soup!
Dad and Zip got little shot glasses of dessert.

Ahhhhhh, it was superior!

I'm sure that Dad and Randy didn't have a musical on their wish list for Father's Day, but that is part of why it made it so fun! Spontaneous, different, and together.
It was a happy day!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds so awesome! I think its awesome you spend so much time together as a family and with your dad! Family is everything. What a cool way to celebrate fathers day! I think we are pretty much skipping it here, maybe a BBQ with the kids and I after Church
Enjoy your family, your hubby and dad its good you have them in your life

Tracy said...

Much love and respect for the men in your life. You are truly blessed--as you realize.
Trace

Tracy said...

Count me in for "Legally Blonde" k?
For reals :)