Saturday, June 27, 2009

{A generational gift}

Hey! Guess what? I like my mother-in-law! Not something you are used to hearing??? I know!!! Carol and I have always loved each other....and have learned to accept one another for who we are. She was put to the test with me! I show up in her life with big ass hair and whore-ish make-up. "Here I am to take your son! Oh! Trust me! I'm a good girl!?!?! You just can't see how good I am past my mini skirt and raccoon eyes." She had her doubts........for good reason. She saw through my hardcore facade and cradled me into her life with a lot of love and support. We both are always proud to say that we really do like each other.

I have been so fortunate to earn Carol's trust with her prized possessions. She has given me most of the families picture albums......priceless!



These plates hang on my wall in my dining room. These were given to Carol and Jack as a wedding gift. They are also priceless to me.



This dining and buffet set was an anniversary gift to Carol from Jack. I believe for their 10th. These pieces have been a love of Carol's, and I know that it was very hard for her to part with. She saw that I had a larger area to showcase the set, and unselfishly allowed me to put them in my home. I take pride and cherish these items. I'm glad that she can visit all of her heirlooms when she stops in.


Now comes the big one!!!! About 7 years ago, Carol decided to disperse some of her valuable jewels. My sister-in-law Sheila received a pair of diamond earrings. And I received this.....




A 3 diamond solitaire ring that holds Carol's original engagement diamond in the center! I have had this ring in my safe all these years. At the boys' baseball game last week, Carol sincerely offered for me to use the diamonds to make myself a new wedding ring.......I'm teared up right now just typing this! Oh my Gosh! That was exactly what I needed! Something that had sentimental value and love behind it. She is so good to me. I had Randy get the ring out of the safe so that I could look at it again, and get a vision of what I could design it into. As I have it on my finger.....I am thinking that maybe I should just leave it as it is. I don't know just yet what the end result will be, but whatever the decision is, my ring comes with generations of love and commitment and honor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It so cool you have a gret relationship, but I can attest that you were not that bad! Yes, you had big hair and racoon eyes, but it was easy to see your heart is wonderful! That ring is b e a utiful(got that from bruce almighty during my swine flu movie marathon). I know whatever you decide will be perfect!

Love you, Chelise

paula said...

What a precious gift she has given you. You are perfect for the ring..not only will you cherish it, you have the same type of love and appreciation for the sentimental aspect of it.