Tuesday, January 26, 2010

{Girls vs. Boys}







I found this article from patenting.com, that was very interesting to me.  Haven't you said, or heard by other parents, their opinions on which sex is easier to raise.  I know I wonder about what dramas or sweet ways a girl would bring to the house.  I can give you a shit-load of experiences that I have with boys.

This article has scientific backing as to why each gender is the way we are.  So, can we finally answer the great parenting debate over which sex is more challenging to raise? Much depends on what you're looking at, and when:



A few short snippets that I liked while reading the story.

Self esteem harder:  Girls
Discipline harder:  Boys
Physically harder:  Boys
School harder:  Boys
Communication harder:  Boys then Girls

"Forget that old poem about snips and snails and puppy dog tails. Somehow it's been changed to boys being made of 'fights, farts, and video games,' and sometimes I'm not sure how much more I can take!"
 
"We tend to talk more softly to girls and throw boys in the air."




Why don't boys seem to listen? Turns out their hearing is not as good as girls' right from birth, and this difference only gets greater as kids get older.
 
"This cultural pressure to put others' needs first, ignore one's own gut feelings, and avoid asking for what one wants has traditionally harmed girls,"
 
On balance, the general consensus seems to be that boys are more of a handful early on, and girls more challenging beginning in the preteen years.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I read this same thing this morning. Having 4 boys and only 1 girl I don't have equal experiences... I agreed with a lot of what they said but overall I think boys are way easier than girls. True it might just be my girl but that one child is WAY more difficult to parent than all four of the boys {so far}. Girls are easier to potty train. But that's about it. My mom had 4 boys and 3 girls and she said about the same thing but it has more to do with the child/parent relationship. Boys tend to outgrow the need for their mothers and girls just wake up one morning hating their moms. But just my opinion based on my own personal experiences... Interesting though. And I laughed out loud about the "fights, farts and video games". SO TRUE!

Anonymous said...

I say get a dog...

auntie E

Jolie said...

Megan~
You should have wrote the article! You are truthful and speak from experience. I love that. I kind of figured that girls would be a challenge.....all I have to do is think of how I was as a youth.....scary!!!!

You're awesome! Thanks for the insight :)