Friday, January 22, 2010



{I'm loving it!!!!}



Last night, I rode on the coat tails of Lisa's chain gang.
She invited me to join her and her gal pals to a Howie Day concert.
It was at the State Room just off of 6th South.
I loved the venue.
The building used to house the Children's Theater, and before that, it must have been a church.  I got that assumption from the pews that we were sitting in.
Kinda weird drinking beer and listening to sinful music while sitting on a church bench!
I'm loving these intimate, acoustic performances. 
My age is really starting show.
 
The concert started at 8 pm.
The first on stage was an awesome lil' dude from NYC, with a voice that reminded me of Rob Thomas.
Excellent song writer and very entertaining.
I'm pissed that I didn't buy his $5 CD.
And I'm pissed because I totally forgot his name.
 

 
He was a real cutie and hung in the lobby at every break to talk to peeps.
He and I kept giving the head nod and hand rise.
Don't know why we felt the need to constantly acknowledge each other's presence.
A little strange now that I think about it.
 
 
~Next in the line up was Serena Ryder.
 

 
She is a star in Canada and rightfully so.
Just imagine a mix of Alanis Morrissette, Sheryl Crow, and Melissa Etheridge.
Kick ass voice that ranges from high, sweet notes, to long holding gravel tones.
A little bit hippy, a lot rock-n-roll.
The girl has a great comedic talent too.
She was my favorite performer of the evening.
 

 
She should have been the head liner!
While she was signing my CD, I let her know that she was living MY rock-n-roll dream. 
She was way cool, and said, "you should follow your dream".
I responded with, "does it matter that I can't carry a tune?"
She laughed, "yah, that might be a problem."
 
The U.S. will know her name and her music.
Mark my words people.
She's really THAT good!
She will be back to SLC in April.
She tempted us by saying that she will have her man band with her next time.  She makes them wear nothing but tassels.
I will be the first in line.
 


Now we get to Howie Day.
Radio songs you may know:
~Collide
(see all the words below)
~She says
(and when she says she wants someone to love,
I hope you know she doesn't mean you)
~Be there
(if you're gonna be there, be there.
if you're gonna stay, stay tonight...)

He is an amazing song writer, and musician.
Experiments a lot with synthesizers, which get annoying after the 83rd time of hearing repetitive guitar solos with a "boyyiiiiinnnnaaaaannnng" mechanical sound following.
He wasn't connected with the audience like the first two performers.  And was quite short and rude.
He constantly had a look as if he was about to seize or needed to take a painful crap.
I think it's because he's just a pompous ass.
He didn't even come out after the concert to talk with the fans like the previous two did.
Maybe his little fling with Britney S. made him think he's all that and a bag of herpes.
I was disappointed.  Only because I wanted a picture.
After the concert, we walked across the street to the Bayou to get a late night bite.
As we were leaving, I see Howie standing at the front door with some chick.
I purposely make it a point to get my ass up to the front before he is seated.
I say, "Good show Howie", and smile.
He looks at me like he doesn't know WTF I'm talking about.
See......a pompous ass!
I guess it would be hard to be a rock star, and not have it alter your ego.
BUT, if I ever go into a coma, miraculously wake up with an amazing voice, dance, and guitar talent,  I promise you all, that I will NEVER be a mean celebrity.
(Is it bad that my fingers are crossed for this miracle?
 WTF?
I want to be in a coma???!?!
Yes, it IS bad.
 I'm sick in the head)

I still love Howie's music......who wouldn't love the words to collide?


"Collide"

The dawn is breaking
A light shining through
You're barely waking
And I'm tangled up in you

Yeah

I'm open, you're closed
Where I follow, you'll go
I worry I won't see your face
Light up again

Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills my mind
I somehow find
You and I collide

I'm quiet you know
You make a first impression
I've found I'm scared to know I'm always on your mind

Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the stars refuse to shine
Out of the back you fall in time
I somehow find
You and I collide

Don't stop here
I lost my place
I'm close behind

Even the best fall down sometimes
Even the wrong words seem to rhyme
Out of the doubt that fills your mind
You finally find
You and I collide

Go see Serena Ryder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Chelise said...

Howie Day is too ugly to be walking around like he's so imp-o-tent! Think I'll search the web and get a copy of Serena's cd. She's a great song writer! I know you say you can't carry a tune, but GIRL! You can sure pick a band that is gonna be HOT!

One of these many talents you posess, you are gonna have to take to the bank, CAUSE WE NEED GIRLS TRIP MONEY! Get on it, OK??