Monday, January 18, 2010


{The other ranch}



Saturday afternoon, we set off for a spur of the moment "family fun" extravaganza......
Including:
Snow...
Sort-of clean air......
Wild animals that could attack (hey! I've seen those shows!).......
A real ranch cowboy with a 4"  waxed mustache and bandanna......
Beautiful, 2000 pound Clydesdale horses.......
Me almost peeing my pants......
AND
River almost dying.
(hence me almost peeing my pants)



Hardware Ranch.
Just above Logan and Brigham City.
Designed to keep the Elk herds from migrating in to the small farm towns to feed.
On an average Winter day, there are as many as 450 head.
We picked a day when the numbers were well below average.
Only about 150 head total, and five, 2 point bucks.
We were disappointed because our mustache Marlboro man tour guide said, that about 20 huge bucks left the day before.
Ah suck!!!
There were a lot of cows with calves tho.....amazing to hear them call to each other.
Sounds like a cat crossed a seagull.








After our horse drawn sled ride, the boys found a kick-ass hill to fly down on their plastic sleds.
The hill ended in a snowy parking lot.
On this run, Riv caught air off this little bump, and projected with speed through the parking lot.
Immediately Randy and I were yelling STOP! STOP! RIVER, STOP!!!
In River's typical "la-de-dah" fashion, he didn't stop.
Luckily, the truck's tire that was feet away from his head, did stop.
Maybe it was because I looked like a crazed sasquatch running from the hills toward the driver. My red mittens waving frantically, and yelling.... "OH MY GOD!!!!  STOP!!!"
Yes, this is the point when all of my bodily functions almost let go of themselves.
Riv, still unaware of the near death experience, got up and had a big smile because that was the BEST sled run he has ever had!!!!!!!
ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
Once he got a look at our eyes, and heard me say,
"F**K RIVER!!!!! DIDN'T YOU HEAR US YELL STOP?!?!?"
He knew we had an awkward situation on our hands.
I know......I said the F bomb at/too my kid.
I don't even care.  It was appropriate and I was freaked out.
The F word made my point in stone!
ahhhhhh....it's ok. We can all breath now.

Because we are all alive to yell F words at.




While driving through Hyrum on our way home, we saw miles of frosted trees.
Trees that have been around for generations.
I loved the look of the willow's.  They reminded me of old men with long white beards.
I kept thinking that, if trees could talk, they would have some amazing stories to tell of years gone by.
I would also imagine that they would have a bitch or two about the inversion and 14 degree temps!!!
Or maybe that's just my bitch.......

In summary:
Great family day.
Glad my kid is alive.




3 comments:

susie said...

What a fun day! I totally agree, the "F" word was appropriate in that situation!

Anonymous said...

SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU REMEMBER HEARING YOUR GRANDMA SAY, IF WQALLS COULT TALK? WELL, OLD THINGS SHOULD TELL THEIR STORY. LOVE YOU.

lisa_sims said...

This looks like a blast. Glad everyone survived! I would love to check this place out sometime.

No worries...We have all let the F word go a time or two.