Wednesday, January 27, 2010

{I heart Valentine's Day}



I'm irritated by all of the Valentine crap being shoved at me.
YES!!!!!  I'm a Valentine HUMBUG!!

As adults, we are pressured into making such a big-ass deal on ONE stupid day, to show our mates how much we just loooooooove them.

Gag me with a chalky heart candy!

The greatest pressure is on men's shoulders.......
because you know, they will NEVER, EVER, NEVER fill the romantic fantasy that the women have leaping through their dramatic minds.  There is NO way they can. 

We do not live in a movie, book or song.

Not only is there the pressure to get it "right" and  make everything rosy so you won't give the silent treatment, but they've got a night of sex on the line.
It's do or die for these guys.

How can a man possibly live up to our expectations????
Do you really think we women live up to theirs?
And let's face it......the only fantasy expectation they have of us, is how we are going to give them fireworks in bed.
They are pretty simple creatures.
WE are bitches.

I haven't always been this cynical.  In fact, I used to look forward to V-Day.  Who doesn't love hearts, cupids, and roses.  But the older I get, the more this stuff doesn't make any sense to me.
I think the whole thing is a retail scam, and can ultimately leave people feeling less loved, because of...........
what was that again????????
Expectations.



Yah, it's way cute when the youngin's do their boxes and little cards and treats and have a secret crush,
but even then, it is leaving someone feeling hurt. 
 Let's take Peggy for example. (see above)
She is a whore and the whole thing makes poor Viola feel like nobody likes her because, "oh, look at Peggy....everyone loves Peggy. "
Viola got one Valentine and it's from Waldo the nose picker, lice headed, flute player dork.
WoW!  That boosts a gal's self esteem!

Do you see how this insecurity and EXPECTATION starts????
It's a marketing ploy and we all fall for it.

Well, I gotta go.  I need to confirm my reservations at the bed and breakfast on the 14th, and finish applying the glitter to my handmade love card for Randy.  I sure hope he likes the box of chocolates I hand dipped.
This may have broke our wallet, but dammit!  I HAVE to show him I love him!  AND I can only show it on THIS day in the middle of February!  The rest of the year doesn't count.
(I know.....I'm such a bitty)

Go plan your day of expectation....you only have two weeks.
Hurry, because the retailers will be putting up effin shamrocks soon.....another useful holiday*.
*I have no ill feelings against the Irish.  I love their beer


7 comments:

Megan said...

AMEN!Thanks for being honest. I am glad I am not the only one!

Anonymous said...

Christmas,Valentines Day,Groundhog Day...They are all a ploy by none other than HALLMARK!! I love funny cards, but the pressure that these card companys put on us every stinkin holiday is toooo much. I say we revolt,quit falling into this trap.Everyday should be Valentines Day,at least it is for me cause I eat chocolate daily.
Auntie E

paula said...

So true...but I have to admit.... I love making hand made Valentines for everyone each year. I'll be damned if I'm paying $5 for a card.

susie said...

You made Justin and I laugh our asses off with this post. Thanks we really needed it. Oh and Paula, I really love getting your hand made Valentines! We look forward to them every year!

By the way Jolie, Justin copied the pic. of Peggy and Viola, he loved it!

Tracy said...

Sooo, I guess I'll cancel your V.D. Strip-O-Gram from Johnny D. :(

Jolie said...

Damn. I now see the big mistake I have made. Erase this post from your minds.....it never happened.
I still want my funny card from Auntie E.....I still want a handmade card from Paula.....and most of all.....I want my Johnny D. surprise!!!!! Oh how I just love VDay!

**I still stand by my thoughts of men being simple, women being bitches and Peggy is a whore.

Chelise said...

OMG!! I have tears in my eyes! It IS all a money making ploy, by retailers, forcing us into feeling like we have to DO SOMETHING! My husband, I have to admit, got quite caught up in all the pressure and V.D. frenzy.....in his panic, I received.............wait for it..........a Clorox Ready Mop! You see, even he falls into this trap! No one is SAFE!!