Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pre-Saigon



The to die for desserts!!!! I had apple bread pudding, Linda had raspberry/choc mousse and Paula had carrott cake!


We were able to meet Natalie Hill. She plays Ellen in Miss Saigon. Natalie has been in many musicals and leads an amazing actress life. Paula has stalked her blog for a year now, and considers them friends (even though Natalie had no knowlege of their relationship). It was a highlight for Paula to meet her, have a REAL conversation, and document it all with photos.


I want to thank Paula and Linda for letting me tag along on the Mother's Day outting. It was a happy day for me :)
Saturday afternoon Paula, Linda (Paula's mom) and I, started with a wonderful brunch at Gourmandise's. A quaint little pastry/eatery in down town SLC. Paula's aunt Paulette met us there too. The food and coffee was delish! From there, we shopped at a nearby thrift store. The store's profits went to an Aids foundation, and it seemed to cater to the gay community. They had a picture for sale with people picketing. Their signs read "Even kittens hate prop 8" and "Trannies for equal rights". It was funny and enlightening at the same time. I found some Star Wars books for Pop. They were 50 cents a piece. Linda bought a serving bowl and books. Paula was the ding ding winner of the gay thrift store....3 pair of name brand shoes and a jacket for $13!!!! Good shopper=Paula. With only a half hour before show time, we started toward the Pioneer Theatre Company.
I had no idea what Miss Saigon was about. Paula invites me....I go. Thank God she is in my life to help culture me! As we entered the theater, there was a posted warning saying something about the play containing cigarette smoke, strong language, and partial nudity. They had me at "Warning". I knew then, that this was MY kind of musical! We were handed playbills as we found our balcony seats. I had time to read the premise of the story so that I was semi prepared for what was to come. The acting and singing were top notch. Most of the actors were out of New York and have been on Broadway. The play had us laughing in the whore house scenes, wide eyed in the original Vietnam footage, and crying in the mother-son drama. It was superb!!!!!! I am still exhilarated and moved by the performances. If you have the chance to experience "Miss Saigon", make sure to jump at the opportunity! It is a moving musical that brings our history to life.

2 comments:

ggmlaurapearl said...

For a number of years, I've yearned to attend a good show at Pioneer Theatre. Thanks to your enthusiasm and Elise's invitation for Wed, Mar 13,to attend MISS SAIGON w/Elise & Tracy Carol, my dream will be realized. Thanks for tuning me in the details of this new culture growth period in your life.
ALL MY LOVE Grandma B

G-ma said...

sounds great. love ya